- iO West registration is done online, in person, or over the phone. We accept Visa, Mastercard, and cash.
- Tuition for most classes may be paid in full upon registration, or, if paying on a payment plan, first half payment upon registration and second half payment at the BEGINNING OF THE FOURTH WEEK OF CLASSES.
- Please note: Payment plans can only be made with credit card. Payment plans made with a credit card will automatically have the second payment charged at the midpoint of the class session.
- Most electives, workshop and intensives require payment in full upon registration.
Refund/Class Drop Policy – Improv classes
- Up until 24 hours before your first class meets in Week 1, you may cancel anytime for any reason and receive a full refund.
- If it’s less than 24 hours before your first class, but still sometime before your second class, you may drop your class for a full class credit toward a future term. However, NO refunds will be given. (If you split your payment, you will get half a credit and we won’t charge your card for the second half.)
- If it’s after your class meets in Week 2 but still sometime before your class meets in Week 4, you may drop your class for a half credit toward a future term. NO refunds will be given.
- If you drop your class after the 4th time your class meets you will receive no credit or refund of any kind.
- There are no refunds or prorating for being sick, schedule changes, not liking the teacher, or changing your mind.
- If iO West needs to change the schedule or change the teacher before your term starts, you can get a full refund at the time we notify you about it. You must request this refund sometime before your class’s 2nd session.
- Issued credits are good for one year.
Refund/Class Drop Policy – Writing classes/workshops
- Up until 24 hours before your first class meets, you may cancel anytime for any reason and receive a full refund.
- After that, no credits or refunds of any kind will be given for writing classes or workshops.
- You are expected to be at class every week. If you miss more than two classes at your scheduled time, you may not be allowed to advance. You must have permission to leave class early or it will be counted as an absence.
- Students may make up missed classes by attending the same level class at any other time it is offered, except in Levels 5B where no make-ups are allowed.
- Attendance requirements for electives & workshops vary according to the class and are set by the instructor.
- Late Policy: If you’re more than 15 minutes late to your class, it will be counted as an absence. After 15 minutes, you can come to the class and audit, but you will not be able to participate in that class.
SHOW VIEWING REQUIREMENTS
Students in each level of improv class are required to see at least 3 improv shows on iO stages over the course of the 8-week term.
The recommended shows for students are: Harold Teams (Tuesdays); Heyday and King 10 (Wednesdays); Dummy, The Reckoning, Quartet, and Cook County Social Club (Thursdays); Opening Night The Improvised Musical (Fridays); and Armando (Saturdays).
Admission to iO shows is free with a current student id if the show is not sold out. When you arrive at the theater to see a show, you must check in at the box office to show your current student id and get your free ticket.
If you will have a problem meeting the requirement due to your particular circumstances, please consult your teacher to figure out how you can meet the show viewing criteria for the class. Students who are under 21 need to consult their teacher to determine which DCT or Loft shows they should see.
When you arrive at the theater to see a show, you must check in at the box office so they can record your attendance.
Student ID Cards
Student ID cards get you into shows for free (if seats are available) and your friends in for half price to $10 shows.
Level 3, 4 & 5 have a performance as a part of their class. Level 5B has an eight week run of shows on Saturdays in the following term.
Internships / Work Study
- iO West’s internship program allows students to work at the theatre in exchange for improv classes.
- To apply for an internship position, please fill out an application and return to the iO West Office or Box Office. Applications can also be emailed to email@example.com.
- Internships are only available to currently enrolled students.
- Please call the Training Center with any additional questions!
LEVEL ADVANCEMENT / PLACEMENT
Improv Training Program
The Improv program consists of 6 levels. To enroll in a Level 1 class, no audition is necessary.
Advancement is not automatic.
Each student is individually evaluated by their instructor and given a recommendation to advance or repeat the level, based on the passing criteria that all students receive the first day of class. If a student repeats a level, tuition is half-price.
Enrollment in Writing classes is open.
Electives / Workshops
Many electives and workshops have special enrollment criteria. For more information about a workshop or elective, contact the Training Center.
Q. THE CLASS I WANT SAYS WAIT-LIST ONLY, SHOULD I SIGN UP FOR ANOTHER CLASS?
A. We give priority to students on the wait-list that are not enrolled in another class. So, it’s up to you. If you can make another class, and it’s open, you might as well sign up for it.
Having said that, please don’t enroll in a class whose date and time you cannot make.
Q. I CAN’T PAY THE FULL AMOUNT AT REGISTRATION, WHAT THE HECK DO I DO?
A. If you can’t pay the full tuition for our improv classes, you can secure your spot with a deposit of half of the tuition price for that level. This is an option you can choose when registering online. The second half of the tuition will be automatically deducted on the Monday of the 4th week of classes.
Q. I’D LIKE TO RETAKE A CLASS. IS THERE A DISCOUNT?
A. If you would like to repeat a level within 1 year of successfully completing it, you can do so at 1/2 price. Please call the Training Center to do so. If it has been more than 1 year, you would need to pay the full price. There is no discount for retaking Level 5B.
Q. I COMPLETED THE iO IMPROV PROGRAM & WANT TO RE-TAKE A CLASS, CAN I REGISTER ONLINE?
A. Priority is given to students who are going through the program for the first time. You can register the week after regular class registration. Please call the Training Center to sign up over the phone.
Q. WILL I HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING THE CLASS I WANT IF I CALL OR COME IN?
A. Actually your chances will be slightly worse. If you come in or call in, the Training Center Staff be using the web portal to register you. All class registration is handled via the web portal on a first-come first-serve basis regardless of registration method. So it may be best to register yourself online.
Q. CAN I REGISTER OTHER PEOPLE?
A. Sorta. You can pay for another person’s class with your credit card,but it must be a separate order from yours. If doing it online, make one transaction for yourself and log out, then either create an account for that person or use their login information to purchase a class in their name.